China!

China! Acupuncture! Chinese Herbs! Food! Friends!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Last day of clinic

Tuesday was the last shift at Shu Guang Hospital.  It has been great having shifts there.  On our second to last day because of a scheduling mistake (I think) we were all able to observe an acupuncture shift.  It was really interesting.  First off, the needles that they used were 1.5 cun 36.  So thinner then what I thought anyone used in China.  All of the doctors were all really good with their freehand insertion.  The main doctor in the clinic was a famous acupuncturist and forgive me because I didn't catch his name.  Anyway, he needled LI 10 bilaterally and with a simple manipulation was able to make one side feel hot and the other side feel cold.  It was pretty incredible. 

A great shift overall.  After observing for a bit, we were invited to cup each other.  Paul wanted to be cupped and I missed treating someone, so I volunteered to cup him.  They brought a huge tray of large cups.  I was suddenly nervous, but I managed to cup Paul's entire back along foot taiyang (both sides of his spine) and one point on each shoulder.  I checked the cups to make sure that they were tight since I didn't want to risk on of them falling off.  Ahh!  That would have been awful!  Paul was a great sport having so many tight cups on him and when one of the acupuncture doctors came by he checked the cups and was impressed.  However, that was just the start of us showing off our good acupuncture skills because after that we were give our own patient.  We came up with a diagnosis and the Paul and Joel were able to treat her.  They did great, especially since we don't practice our freehand very frequently and were praised by the famous acupuncture doctor!  Good job guys!  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of that because I left my camera at home.  However, I know that Y Lan took some good pictures, so we will just have to wait for those.

So far I have had a great time in China.  Our new hotel is amazing and beautiful.  It has all of the luxuries that I could only dream of back home such as a swimming pool and prepared breakfast.  We managed to find a laundromat close by and had nice clean clothes.  Thank goodness because I was always managing to spill food on myself. Sue and Andy were great and very helpful.  Also, everyone who I went on the trip with have been great.  We have all had a great time together and I'm so thankful that I have such a great class to hang out with.  I'm sad that the we are all going our separate ways, but I'm excited to see the rest of China.  Onward to Chengdu on the 3rd!

Hopefully more trips before then!

Ann

All of the attached pictures were taken outside of Shu Guang on the last day

No comments:

Post a Comment